Sunday, March 11, 2012

Craft Experiment: New Blue Shoes

Ever had the desire for a new pair of colorful shoes but not the money to go buy a pair? Ever been frustrated by the lack of color selection in discount stores? Ever had a pair of shoes you didn't use anymore? That's what happened to me. So I tried an experiment.

One pair of pumps I no longer wear
Painter's Tape
Plastic bags (to cover my work surface)
One acrylic marker-blue
One jar of Deco Art Triple Thick Glaze
One sponge brush

I set the shoes on plastic bags to keep my work surface from getting painted on.

First, I taped every area that I didn't want to paint.
Then I used the marker and "painted" the shoes. I allowed 3 hours for drying between coats and paint a total of three coats on the shoes.
Then I removed the painter's tape.

I coated the shoes with the Deco Art Triple Thick Glaze using a sponge brush. The purpose of the coating is two-fold. I want my shoes to be shiny and I want to seal the paint so it won't come off if it gets wet.
And this is the finished experiment. I love the color peaking out from under a pair of bootleg jeans!
(I did find that a little of the paint came off while using the glaze and the final look had a little too much clear goo dried on. Next time I will try coating the shoes with Modge Podge Dimensional Magic instead. It makes for a thinner coat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment