Wednesday, February 13, 2013

DIY Transferring Printouts to Objects

Many years ago it was easy to transfer drawings to objects like walls and T-shirts using carbon copy paper. You would place the carbon paper on a T-shirt, coloring book page on the carbon paper and trace the coloring book page. Then when you removed the coloring book page and carbon paper there was the image ready to be painted with a permanent fabric paint or whatever medium you desired. Good luck finding carbon paper these days. Everything that makes duplicates is carbonless.

So when I decided I wanted to be able to put a printout on the wall I racked my brain as to what I could use to do the transfer. Then I remembered...when mother taught me how to sew there was a transfer paper and a wooden dowel with a wheel on the end you could use to transfer the pattern you were using onto the fabric. I went to the craft and fabric area of Wal-mart and there is was. Now this is not regular tracing paper that you would find in an office supply or art store. I specifically purchased Dritz Wax Free Tracing Paper that is meant to be used on fabric. So let me show you how it works.

1) I found a poem I liked on Pinterest and created the poem in my document program so that I could choose the script I liked. I made the printout and printed it on regular paper.

2) Then I taped the Dritz Wax Free Tracing Paper that I had purchased over by the pins and needles at Wal-mart onto the wall.

3) Then I taped the printout I had made on top of the tracing paper.



4) I used a wooden kabob skewer to trace the printout letters. You can use a pencil or a pen so long as it isn't a roller ball or gel pen that can leak through the paper and onto the wall.



5) Once I traced all the letters I removed the printout and tracing paper. This was the result.



6) After that I used acrylic paint in this case to fill in the letters. I've considered going over it with a sealant.



7) Below is the completed project. The marking from the tracing paper is removable with water.



I loved the result. This has so many applications. Imagine monogramming glasses and plates, putting silhouettes on stones or beautifully scripted poems, Scripture or quotes on canvases or walls. The possibilities are endless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment